You take a lot of care for your children. You need to be little more health conscious when they are growing. Your children might face different kind of health issues In their life. These paediatric bone and the joint problems are some of the most concerned conditions in the present generation children. These bone disorders can occur due to injuries, infections, and in some cases can be congenital.
Some of these problems are often termed as musculoskeletal disorders which affect the bones, muscles and joints. Recent studies have found that obese children and those with vitamin-D deficiency are at a risk of being affected with these musculoskeletal problems.
As these musculoskeletal disorders became most concerned issues in children’s life, healthcare industries united together and started awareness programmes. In India, awareness of paediatric bone and joint day started with a slogan “ Stronger Bones, Stronger India”.
Facts About Musculoskeletal Disorders In Children:
- In India, 10% of the children are facing this musculoskeletal condition.
- 35%-48% of the children grow up with this disorder and face unwanted problems caused due to the condition.
- Obesity is one of the main reason for musculoskeletal disorders. When compared to the normal children 55% of obese children suffer from Knock-knees (the angle of knees touch each other), 24% of them suffer from an excessive extension of Knee-joints.
Time To react On Paediatric Bone And Joint Problems:
Many children these days are seen with musculoskeletal conditions due to lack of vitamin-D, calcium and phosphate, which help in having stronger bones. Watch out, if less amount of vitamin-D is supplied to premature infants or breast-fed infants, it leads to metabolic bone diseases.
Best Time To Take Medical Care:
- When you come across symptoms like pain, swelling or deformity in your child’s bones or joints, make sure you consult a doctor immediately as they may result in unfavourable conditions as your child grows.
- Take medical attention keenly when pathological fractures (breaking of weakened bone by another disease) occurred, as they may end up as bone tumours like benign or malignant tumours which can lead to pediatric conditions.
- Osteogenesis Imperfecta(OI – a kind of genetic disorder mainly affects the bones) which is also known as brittle bone disease. It is inherited and has 50% of chances to transfer to your future generations.
- Osteoporosis is a condition where your bone becomes porous and brittle. When you find symptoms like back pain, bone spurs, easy fracturing of bone in your children better to consult a doctor.
- When you have seen the symptoms like muscle cramps, weak and brittle nails, numbness and tingling in the hands, feet, and face etc. in your child meet the doctor, they are caused due to less calcium in bones.
Some Health Tips To Avoid Bone And Joint Problems:
By following these health tips, you can defend your bones and joints from musculoskeletal problems.
Healthy Diet Maintenance:
You know that fruits have rich nutrient and vitamin values. So, getting your child to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, protein-rich food, and other nutritious foods to your children to have strong bones and joints.
Doing Exercise Daily:
By doing exercise daily, your child can be fit. Daily exercise, which also helps your bones and joints to be healthy and flexible.
World Paediatric Bone And Joint Day on October 19 is not a celebration; It is the best opportunity to spread awareness in the society about the increasing impact of musculoskeletal disorders in the current generation. On this day it is mandatory to provide awareness and direct parents to look for problems like back pain, pain near the hips and thighs, bowed legs, and knock knees in obese children. Early diagnosis can help in cost-effective treatment and prevention of these musculoskeletal problems.
About The Hospital:
Ankura is a chain of Children’s Hospital in Hyderabad. Set up in the year 2011 in KPHB, near Hitech Railway Station, the Ankura Hospitals family has today spread its wings to Secunderabad, Khammam and Vijayawada.