Babies cannot use speech to express their needs and wants. It’s also a way for parents to understand whether the baby is alright or not. When babies cry excessively and cannot be pacified, it could be a cause for concern.
It could be an indication that there is something is wrong.
Is your baby colic?
‘Colic’? wondering what it is
Scroll down to know more about it
What Is Colic In Babies?
Colic is a term used to describe infants who cry excessively without any reason during the first three months of life. Colic is a problem of infancy. It is distressing for the infant and the parents but resolves in infants by three to four months of age. Even though it is resolved on its own, it would be better if you learn more about colic in order to gain a better understanding of this difficult stage of your baby’s life.
Is Your Child Colic?
Colic differs from “normal” in the following ways:
- The crying episodes last more than three hours per day.
- Each episode of colic has a clear beginning and end, it begins suddenly and often occurs in the evening hours.
- Colic infants cry more intensely, louder, and high pitched than normal. They may sound as if they are in pain.
- Crying develops mostly in the early weeks of life around 6-8 weeks of age usually worse in late afternoon or evening, but may occur at any time.
- Colic infants are difficult to soothe, no matter what the parents do.
What Could Be The Other Causes Of Excessive Crying?
The other possible reasons, why an infant may cry excessively are:
- Boredom or loneliness
- Discomfort or irritation due to wet or dirty diaper
- Hunger or thirst
- Infection Medicines
- Normal muscle jerks and twitches that disturb the sleep
When Should You Seek A Doctor?
You should go find a pediatrician if you find the following
- If the baby cries continuously for more than two hours.
- If crying could be the result of an injury or fall.
- If the baby has a very fever.
- If the infant refuses to eat or drink anything for more than a few hours
- Vomits excessively
- Not urinating well
- Bloody stools
- Change in behavior
- Decreased responsiveness.
- If the infant fails to gain weight
What Should You Do To Treat Your Baby?
The treatment for colic is to decrease the infant’s crying, help your family cope, and prevent long-term difficulties in your family’s relationships.
- Parental support
- Change in environment
- Herbal remedies like gripe water
- Infant massage
A lot of care comes from the home depending on its causes. If the baby is crying is due to boredom or loneliness, it may be helpful to touch, hold, and talk to the infant.
And if it is due to sleep disturbance, you should wrap the baby firmly in a blanket.
If the infant cries due to cold, dress the infant warmly or adjust the temperature of the room. Always check if the baby has any discomfort with the diapers.
If you are still not able to pacify your child you should consult a doctor. Ankura provides the best care for your child, something he or she deserves.
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL:
Ankura is a chain of Children’s Hospital in Hyderabad. Set up in the year 2011 in KPHB, near Hitech Railway Station, the Ankura Hospitals family has today spread its wings to Secunderabad, Khammam and Vijayawada.