Every child born on this earth is unique. As parents, you celebrate each activity that your child does. You desperately look forward to whatever your child does.
The emotions on your child’s face get reflected on yours. You take a great care of the health of your child but sometimes you might find your child not gelling with other people. There are certain cases where you do not get to know the developmental disorders that your child has got. You as a parent might not be able to explain why your child is behaving like that. This could be a possible reason for autism. As a parent, you will never believe that your precious bundle of joy has got this disorder.
If you need to understand more about autism, keep reading.
What Is Autism?
Autism or Autism Spectrum Disorder is a developmental disorder which leads to differences in communication, social skills, and behavior. It is a neurological disorder that presents difficulties and advantages.
The condition is developed in the early childhood stage and lasts lifelong.
Every child with autism has the problem with these three areas specifically:
- Communicating verbally and non-verbally
- Relating to others and world around them
- Thinking and behaving flexibly
Does My Child Have Autism?
Mostly in an autistic child, the symptoms start to show up after 18 months.
In a much older child, the warning signs are different according to the impairment in social skills, speech and language difficulties, non-verbal communication, and inflexible behavior.
Signs of social difficulties
- Disinterested or unaware of other people or things around them
- Difficulty in connecting with others, play or make friends
- Do not like being touched, held, or cuddled
- Trouble in understanding feelings or talking about them
- Less attentive
- Least interested in sharing
Signs in speech and language difficulties
- Speech is abnormal, the tone and pitch of the voice also abnormal
- Repetitive words or phrases used while communicating
- Incorrect usage of language
- Inability to explain needs and desires
- Difficulty in understanding directions, statements, and questions
Signs of nonverbal communication difficulties
- Avoiding eye contact
- Using facial expressions that do not match the statements
- Uses very few gestures, most of the time they are robot-like
- Abnormal posture or eccentric moving patterns.
Signs of inflexible behavior
- Difficulty in adapting to changes in the near environment
- Follows a rigid routine
- Obsessive about certain things like toys or strange objects
- Repetitive behaviors like rocking, flapping hands or jumping
The differences in the patterns need not always be negative, mostly the autistic children develop an ability to understand abstract concepts which normal children fail to.
[Also read – Here Are The Types Of Autism You Need To Know! ]
How Does Your Child Develop This Disorder?
As this is a neurological and developmental disorder in most of the cases the causes for it is unknown. Research has found that it mostly happens due to genetic and environmental triggers.
Most researchers believe that the genes of the parents inherited by the children are vulnerable to develop autism spectrum disorder.
Environmental triggers involve premature birth or getting exposed to alcohol in the womb or other medications. If the parents had the baby during their adult phase. If the mother is exposed to pesticides and pollution during her conception
How Can Autism Be Treated?
The treatment involves both the cooperation of the whole family and doctor as it is very intensive. Mostly the treatment is given in the form of therapies like
- Occupational therapy
- Sensory integration therapy
- Speech and language therapy
- Psychology and counseling
- Special education
- Social skill training
- Cognitive behavior therapy
If you think your child has also got the same symptoms, need not worry. Autism is a curable disorder as research says that autistic children are out of worries as they grow up. You should always consult a good doctor who has experience in treating children with autism. Ankura is the best place to take your child to regain yours and your child’s confidence and happiness.
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL:
Ankura is a chain of Children’s Hospital in Hyderabad. Set up in the year 2011 in KPHB, near Hitech Railway Station, the Ankura Hospitals family has today spread its wings to Secunderabad, Khammam, and Vijayawada.