When you ride to your hospital for an ultrasonography, your heart is filled with hope and joy of seeing your baby in the ultrasonography screen. When you see your child for the first time in real world, it makes the pain of delivery better than any drug could ever do.
But sometimes, just sometimes, something overshadows all the excitement – a physical deformity!
There’s hardly anything you can do to prevent congenital deformities. Genes play a big role in this matter. If your child is born with a deformity, all you can do is stay strong and be informed about the condition.
Here are a few common birth defects you may want to know about.
- Orofacial cleft: An orofacial cleft refers to an opening in the upper lip which may extend to the nose and upper palate. This is one of the very common birth defects Depending on the extent and location of the opening, it’s called a Cleft Lip or Cleft Palate. If left untreated, it can cause eating problems, hearing issues, speech problems and can increase the risk of ear infection. A surgery can correct an orofacial cleft.
[You might be interested in this : What is a cleft lip? Causes of Cleft Lip]
- Deformed Body Parts: Common birth defects in India also include various physical deformities like a missing limb, an extra limb, clubbed foot etc. While clubbed foot can be corrected through surgery, a prosthetic limb may be built surgically. Other common birth defects like extra body parts like an extra finger, an extra leg, an extra outer ear, a third nipple etc are dealt with differently for each case depending on what function they are performing.
- Hypospadias: Hypospadias is a congenital defect where the urinary opening in boys is not at the head of the penis. It is the second most common birth defect which affects 0.4% boys at birth. It can be corrected by a surgery.
[You might be interested in this : What is Hypospadias, Causes and Symptoms of Hypospadias]
- Squint eye: Squint eye is one of the most common birth defects where both the eyes do not point at the same direction at the same time. It is also known as crossed eye condition. Squint eye can be corrected with eye patches or (in extreme cases) surgery.
- Micrognathia: Micrognathia is the case of an undersized jaw. A child might grow out of it with age. But unless she does, it may result in misaligned set of teeth. It may be corrected with surgery.
- Sacral dimple: Common birth defects come in different forms and sacral dimple, also known as buttock dimple is one of them. It is located at the tip or just above the crease of the buttocks. It is primarily harmless but requires extra hygienic efforts to avoid infection.
Even though it is painful to deal with such common birth defects, yet, our skilled doctors understand your feelings, which is why they are better equipped to handle both the medical and emotional stress that both your baby and you go through when your babies are born with these common birth defects. So, put your worries aside and trust Ankura when it comes to your children.
[You might be interested in this : What is Birth Defects? Causes of Birth Defects? ]
About the hospital
Ankura is a chain of Children’s Hospital in Hyderabad. Set up in the year 2011 in KPHB, near Hitech Railway Station, the Ankura Hospitals family has today spread its wings to Secunderabad, Khammam and Vijayawada.