Your baby is precious. Your baby is an adorable tiny human being, so naturally, apart from brimming with love, you are also very protective of your little one. That explains why you are so concerned everytime your baby does or experiences something that isn’t exactly normal.
When your baby starts coughing, you can’t help but feel sad. After all, a baby so tiny shouldn’t need to endure so much of discomfort. You do everything in your capability to soothe your baby, but there are times when nothing works.
Not all types of cough are indications of ill health and serious diseases. Cough in general is a mechanism which is devised by the human body to protect itself and it to keep the airways clean. During spells of cough, one takes out the air which is caught between the congested airways. However, since a baby cannot converse and does not have the ability to provide a doctor with symptomatic reporting, it often becomes a cause for worries to amateur parents. However, there is no reason to worry as there are plenty of baby cough treatments.
Baby cough treatment is for two types of cough. In fact there are two type of cough.
Dry Cough: Generally, babies below the age of one year, do not have wet cough. It is only dry cough which a baby suffers from. During seasonal changes, if a baby is suffering from severe dry cough, it might be because of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). Dry cough is often not alarming as there is no phlegm present in the throat. Cough with phlegm, is often characterised by congestion in the chest. Congestion is a very serious indication of a respiratory ailment, which causes mucus.
Wet Cough: This is because of a bacterial infection. The bacterial infection causes phlegm and mucus often characterised by a hoarse voice and fever.
However, the reason for cough (Dry and Wet) are due to a flu, that might have an impact. The reason for severe cough include:
- Runny Nose
- Clogged Nose
- Sore Throat
There are various home tricks for baby cough treatment. Some of those treatments include
- Giving warm fluids and liquids
- Acetaminophen is a popular drug which is given to babies for baby cough treatment
- Eucalyptus Oil is often advised by Pediatricians as a safe measure to treat baby cough treatment.
- Ginger and Garlic can be used to treat the mucus. Ginger is very helpful in the thinning of the mucus and ginger is also very helpful for reducing both dry and wet cough.
- Chicken soup is very good for children above the age of 6 months as a form of baby cough treatment.
- Tulsi leaves and is a universally acceptable way to treat people across all ages. Tulsi is accepted as measure to give long term relief for baby cough treatment.
- Saline drops are also useful in treating baby cough and there are many medicines which are used a s base for pediatric medicines for baby cough treatment.
- There are certain medicines which are given to babies who are over the age of one year. These medicines include- Anti histamines, decongestants and expectorants. It is believed by Pediatricians that any medicine which has antibiotics in it, should be avoided as it does not work on babies who are below a year’s age.
- It is of utmost importance to keep the baby away from any atmosphere which is known to have or has already caused allergies. Flu is generally contagious and a baby is vulnerable, so ensure that your baby doesn’t come in contact with any body who has a flu.
It is also to be kept in mind that a baby’s body does not have a fully developed immune system, which will shield the body from malfunctioning.
It is thus advised to every parent to take utmost care of a newborn. Medication is not the answer to baby cough treatment and ignorance to a baby’s cough can lead to far fetched implications, that might have very adverse effects on the body in the future.
About Ankura Hospital:
Ankura is a chain of Children’s Hospital in Hyderabad. Set up in the year 2011 in KPHB, near Hitech Railway Station, the Ankura Hospitals family has today spread its wings to Secunderabad, Khammam and Vijayawada.