The journey towards becoming a mother is not easy. If you feared childbirth before, after you get pregnant, you will realise that it’s not only childbirth; every new day during your pregnancy poses new challenges to your health and comfort. One of them is gas and bloating during pregnancy. A little bit of gas and bloating sounds innocent, but when it is piled with all other pregnancy troubles or if the condition is not very minor, it becomes irritable very soon.
Here are a few things you need to know about gas and bloating during pregnancy.
Why you you get gas and bloating during pregnancy?
All of us produce or have some amount of gas trapped in our digestive canals. But during pregnancy, the amount of gas seems to increase a little. Why is that so? Well, during pregnancy you produce excess of a hormone called progesterone. Progesterone helps to relax muscles, doing the same to the muscles of your digestive tract. It slows down the process of digestion. As a result, more gas is produced making you feel bloated.
During the later stages of pregnancy, when the baby starts occupying more space inside of you, you naturally feel more bloated after eating and the same amount of gas has less space to occupy, making you release gas more often.
Is it harmful for the baby?
Here is some good news, no! Even though the gas inside you is causing to inconvenience, it will not affect the gestating child in anyway. Your child is safe in your uterus inside the amniotic sac. There is no way that the gas can go inside. After all, ‘a mother’s womb is the safest place!’
How can you manage gas and bloating during pregnancy?
It’s very normal that you would like to find a relief of the gas and bloating. After all, an untimely burp or a fart can be really embarrassing in a social gathering. The thing is, you cannot really stop the production of gas but you can reduce the production to some extent.
Dietary Changes: Try these dietary changes.
- Limit the consumption of legumes i.e. beans, peas, pulses.
- Avoid whole grains.
- Avoid certain vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, radish etc.
- Eat less dairy products (but don’t forget your calcium pills).
- Avoiding fibre-rich food will reduce the production of gas, but will make you constipated. So, try to maintain a balance.
- Fast food, containing too much fat, is always bad.
- Avoid carbonated food and canned food.
- Fructose from some fruits also increase the production gas.
- Eat slowly, chew thoroughly (so that you intestines don’t have to overwork)
- Eat in small intervals and in less quantity.
- Drink plenty of water. Warm water helps even more.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes.
- Avoid chewing gum.
- Needless to mention, avoid caffeine, alcohol, nicotine etc.
- Sip your water from a glass or use a straw. Don’t gulp your water.
- Exercise: short brisk walks are recommended.
- Sitting with elevated legs help you digest better.
- You can also take OTC (over-the-counter) medicines for getting relief from gas during pregnancy.
- You must note that the best way to get relief from bloating during pregnancy is to let the gas out. If you suppress it, it might lead to further complications.
When should you see a doctor?
See your doctor whenever you feel the need to. It’s never too early, or too ‘silly’ to call the doctor. Taking an expert’s opinion is always a wise decision. However, if your situation becomes too uncomfortable you must consult the doctor. Visit your doctor if you have abdominal pain or blood in your stool or diarrhea, or vomiting or excessive nausea. At Ankura, our doctors will be available 24*7, so do not hesitate to drop in.
Pregnancy is tiring – it exhausts you physically and emotionally. But be strong; think of the forthcoming pristine child and hold on to your courage. With the help and support of your family, you will get through it and your gynaecologist will guide you along the way.
About the hospital
Ankura Hospitals is a chain of super-specialty Children’s Hospital in Hyderabad. Set up in the year 2011 in KPHB, near Hitech Railway Station, the Ankura Hospitals family has today spread its wings to Secunderabad, Khammam and Vijayawada